Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mrs T’s Kitchen – Pork Sinigang

As you may or may not know, I watch a lot of youtube videos. I love watching the daily vlogs of Judy and her family Benji and little Julianna (check out her vlog channel here). I watched a video recently of Judy making a Filipino dish called Sinigang and I really wanted to make it because I love soup and it looked delicious!

I got the recipe from the internet (what would I do without google) and tweaked it to my own taste. It’s very easy to make because you cook everything in one pot (saves you time on washing up too!)
Ingredients:

- 1 x medium brown onion, diced

- 2 x medium carrots, sliced

- 250g green beans

- 3 x small red tomatoes

- 2 x bunches of bok choy

- Chilli (amount will depend on how hot you want the dish to be)

- A thumb size of fresh ginger (I sliced mine but you can keep it whole, might make it easier to fish out at the end of cooking)

- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil

- 2 x tamarind stock cubes (I used the Knorr® brand)

- Salt and pepper to taste

- 2 L of water

- 400-500gg of pork ribs (I added about 200g of pork belly but this is optional)

IMG_1669
IMG_1675IMG_1676

How to make:

1. Heat oil and brown the onion for about 2-3 minutes

2. Add the meat and brown both sides

3. Add the ginger, chillies and tomatoes, leave for about 2 minutes

4. Add the water and stock cubes. Leave to cook until the meat is tender (around 30-40 minutes)

5. Add the rest of the vegetables (I added the carrots and beans first, left them to cook for 5-10 minutes then added the bok choy in the last 1 minute of cooking as you don’t want to overcook it)

6. Add salt and pepper to taste (you can also add sugar to balance the sourness of the soup.) Serve with white rice

The recipe above will serve 4-5 people generously.

IMG_1682

Perfect for dinner on a cold winter’s day.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment